Information about Flood Insurance
- Most properties are eligible for flood insurance. You do NOT have to be in a flood plain to get flood insurance.
- Mortgage Lenders will require flood insurance if your property sits in a flood plain.
- If you are not in a flood plain, then you qualify for preferred rates.
- FEMA flood insurance policies are all the same rate no matter which company you use to access the FEMA program.
- However, there are some Private flood insurance policies separate from FEMA. Some of their benefits are offering replacement cost coverage with higher limits.
- A defined flood doesn’t have to be a large scale event. One definition states: A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area Or of two or more properties from: Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source.
- If a storm drain gets blocked and water backs up onto 2 properties that can be a flood.